How Does Server Uptime Schedule Work?
Google Cloud bills on a per second basis of compute resources only when they are on. By leveraging the itopia uptime server instance scheduling you could significantly reduce your overall cloud infrastructure cost.
For example: If your company only works during regular business hours, you can schedule server instances to turn on at 8 AM and turn off at 8 PM thus reducing the amount of hours consumed in a month by half.
Backup Domain Controller Uptime
If you enabled Backup Domain Controller when deploying to cloud, you will get a default uptime schedule for the server to turn on for a couple of hours a day (12AM - 2AM) to sync the data with the main DC. The default schedule is the best practice to have the server up to date and to save cost. You can change the schedule if you prefer or remove it completely.
Please keep in mind that the main DC must be turned on at the time of the sync with the Backup DC.
The rest of the servers don't have any schedules set so you can create the schedules based on your needs.
See steps below on how to accomplish this in 5 minutes or less.
1. In the Cloud manager menu, go to "Server uptime" and click on the "Add" button on the top right corner to add a schedule.
2. Enter a Server uptime schedule "Name" and "Description".
2. Select server instances you want the schedule to apply to.
We recommend to schedule the Domain Controller (pdc server) to turn on a little sooner than the rest of the servers to give it enough time to start the services and avoid it not joining the domain. 5 min before the rest of the servers should be enough.
3. Click and drag to select desired uptime. You can configure multiple time frames within the same week day. Also, you can drag across multiple days in a single selection.
4. Confirm the "Start" and "Stop" times and click "Save". Optionally, you can set the schedule to "on" the entire day by switching the "Online all day" slider to the right.
The schedule can be deleted or modified anytime from the Server Uptime menu. You can also temporarily disable the schedule if you mark it and hit Disable button.
Schedule can be then enabled back clicking Enable button.
Please note that with our scheduling module you can create different uptime settings for every day and define the criteria for each server separately or select the same for all servers.
- Always turn-on the Primary Domain Controller (xxxPDC001), 5 minutes before any other server in the environment.
- The main DC must be turned on for the Backup DC can sync correctly. When creating an uptime schedule for other servers, adjust it the way the main DC and the backup DC are both on when syncing.